- The Cost of Higher Education — Crooked Timber This is more for the extensive comments than for the stem piece; interesting debate and despite the US focus, UK parallels are evident.
- Teaching What You Don't Know (The Chronicle of Higher Education) A very good piece by James M Lang, who follows up here: James M. Lang: Teaching What You Don't Know
- Who Needs Facts Anyway? | Neurobonkers | Big Think Gross, very gross, alarmist reporting of the decline of cod stocks in the North Sea. (That is of course the point of the article.)
- PHD Comics: What is Open Access? Very useful guide to this hot topic in research circles
- Fall Is in the Air - In Focus - The Atlantic and Fall Is in the Air, Part II - In Focus - The Atlantic Stunning photographs
- Bigger, Better Google Ngrams: Brace Yourself for the Power of Grammar - Ben Zimmer - The Atlantic ("NLP" here stands for "Natural Language Processing")
- The Psychopath Makeover - The Chronicle Review A different take on psychopathology and neuroscience