21 January 2011

On a brilliant utility

Arising out of the previous post--probably this is old news to everyone else and I am the last to discover it (that's not unusual) but if you have a site or a blog, just register it on this site, and you'll get a few lines of javascript to past into your page or template or server-side-includes.

And thereafter whenever anyone copies and pastes from your material, the source URL will automatically be added to their paste.
  • At one level this is a nudge to any student attempting to plagiarise from your site (although of course it can be deleted), but
  • at another level it is a service to them if they are building up notes for an assignment, because a clickable trace back to the original is automatically generated.
Brilliant. (And free.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but I am afraid I have had to turn moderation back on, because of inappropriate use. Even so, I shall process them as soon as I can.