12 February 2010

On acquiring craft skills

I just posted this to a blog for a specific taught module (it's great to be so opportunistic--the programme finished less than half an hour ago), but it may be of wider interest. Apologies if you are overseas and not able to access the BBC iPlayer link--or if you arrive too late at the party and it has expired.

Do watch this delightful programme for its own sake. OK--discount the "reality-TV" artificial competitiveness and deadlines.

But. Let's discuss what it says about the acquisition of craft (a.k.a. psychomotor) skills, about the role of sheer repetitive practice, about whether "reflection" matters in doing this, about the importance of constructive and encouraging feedback (Sarah is a living case-study), the zone of proximal development, and in the final minutes the issue of transformative learning.

And all communicated through a story.

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    I have just happened on to your site and have had fun digging into it.

    My late re-entry into the world of formal education occurred in 1998 when, at the age of 51, I started to "teach" electrical apprenticeship. THAT journey is a story in itself. However, I am now seconded to the Nova Scotia Department of Education as Coordinator of Trades Integration.

    There are lots of resources for early through adult learning. I am finding that material regarding the teaching of the trades is lacking. I am particularly interested in teaching the trades in the academic environment. Have you any background in this area?

    Thanks,
    JD

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome, but I am afraid I have had to turn moderation back on, because of inappropriate use. Even so, I shall process them as soon as I can.